Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Weaning to cow's milk or toddler formula?

Before LilO was born, I had already noticed the ready to drink infant and toddler formula in the supermarket along with the "regular" milk. While I already knew infant formula existed, I've never quite understood why toddler milk does. The other moms in an online group I belong to (mainly US based) will give their toddlers whole cow's milk when the little ones turn one year old. So why the toddler milk in France? With LilO turning one year old soon (aaaah!) I think I should figure out what we want to give her if I stop breastfeeding.

My internet research has given me some answers. Simply put, toddler's milk has a lot less animal protein than cow's milk, more iron in order to meet the toddler's needs and extra vitamins. Provided the toddler has a well balanced diet, why the extra iron and less protein?

 An Irish study "concluded that a 6 months higher animal, especially dairy, protein intake at 1 year of age were associated with an unfavourable body composition (higher BMI and relative fat mass) at 7 years of age (1). Thus the "Protein-Adiposity Hypothesis" suggests that high protein after 1 year of age, (particularly from 'animal and dairy sources'), may be associated with increased adiposity and could increase the risk of degenerative diseases in later life."(http://www.aptamilhcp.ie/excessive-nutrient-intakes.html - note that this is a commercial brand's website but the studies cited do exist).

So excessive protein = possible higher BMI and fat mass at a later age. Not great!

A study published in the International Journal of Obesity suggests "maintaining breastfeeding as long as possible, and, in case human milk is insufficient, to introduce infant formulas, appropriate for age, up to 18–24 months, in order to keep protein intakes in the safe range of 8–12% within a diet adequate in energy and balanced as far as macronutrients." (http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v29/n2s/full/0803095a.html)

I have to admit I'm still not convinced! I don't know why really. Maybe because this toddler formula is not commercialized in many countries and is not seen as necessary. And culturally, it's something new for me.

I have french friends that give their children toddler formula and some that don't.  So I guess weaning is still out of the question until I can decide on something!

3 comments:

  1. Toddler formula foes exist in birth America as well. I actually haven't found any studies on it that aren't industry funded in one way are another. I can guess though that mist parents move to whole milk asap because of cost! A liter of milk vs a liter of formula price wise speaks for itself as to why te formula industry is funding studies that say cows milk isn't good enough.

    Personally, we plan to breast feed for another year, but if I couldn't for whatever reason, I would likely go with goats milk as an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. Sorry for all those typos! I am nursing at the key board & forgot to proof before I published ;) I like your blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julian! ABSOLUTELY, do have a point on the price difference!

    I have never thought of goat's milk as a replacement, maybe because I'm not used to consuming it myself. Goats cheese though - yuuuum.

    Congrats on being able to nurse and type at the same time. I've always been jealous of multitaskers.

    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete